Thursday, July 28, 2016

This blog coming to you from Travis, the team’s travel mentor.

According to the tradition I have created, I am writing these student evaluations and posting them publicly for all to see.  Rest assured that I have judged them with my most discerning eye and will mince no words. 

The scoring rubric is my own, and I should confess that I just made it up.  I would have spent more time on it, but this afternoon I walked into the bathroom and was spooked by a moth with a wingspan larger than my open hand.  This thing was larger than many small birds, and when it fluttered blindly into my chest, I was surprised I didn’t feel any impact.  After regaining some composure, I opened a window and watched in awe until it found open air.

I spent some time later marveling at its size, and wondering how it got so big.  Then I remembered that when in Africa one’s energy is often better spent accepting the fact that something is rather than wondering why something is.  I have tried to impart this lesson to the team, especially when it comes to whatever I am saying.  It would be easier for everybody (read: mostly me) if they just assumed that I, as the mentor, am always right because they know nothing, Jon Snow.  But I don’t think the lesson is sticking, so they all lose points for that.

Anyway, let’s get to it in alphabetical order.

Curtis – As travel team leader he has adeptly handled tasks like purchasing materials, arranging delivery, leading community meetings, and other tasks that would make the average 19-year-old head for the hills.  Unfortunately, he still has a tendency to walk through the villages like an infantryman who overslept the invasion, and insists on holding a makeshift scepter and reminding us all that he is the “supreme leader” of the trip.

Ellis – She is inquisitive, thoughtful, and engaged.  She’s can be as salty as some margaritas which actually comes in handy when we play an important game I refer to as “Keeping Curtis’ Ego In Check.”

Michael – Rwandans are smitten with Michael because he is instantly likeable and friendly.  He is the team’s ambassador and now throngs of children walk for miles to catch a glimpse of him.  The lucky few line up to take a photo with him.  He also takes an eternity to eat his meals and receives extra credit for excellent taste in music.

Xilal – I keep waiting to find a situation where he isn’t ready to smile and laugh, but it hasn’t happened yet.  He is always ready to jump into work and has a traditional Columbian hat that will bring the house down, if and when he decides to unleash it.

Together, they are appropriately irreverent toward my authority, good-natured, and fun-loving.  More than this, they are an engaged, motivated, and earnest group of young adults and I am once again encouraged by the quality of the students involved with EWB. 

At this point in the trip, they are more likely to signal affirmation with an “mmm” or an eyebrow raise than with a hard “yes” which is evidence of a certain amount of assimilation.  This is wonderful.  They are also well on their way toward achieving their goal of building a rainwater collection system.  This is also wonderful.  They all graduate with flying colors. 


And, hopefully you're surprised, here are some pictures!


A shot of our hotel. The cafe that we spend many afternoons is on the right, and these blue gazebos are excellent for relaxing.



A panorama of the view from in front of the hotel.



All six columns are up! We will begin roofing on Monday.


Musaferi, the head mason, putting more cement on the columns.



A little con-bird who tricked Curtis and Ellis into thinking he was injured and hungry, and flew away as soon as they left to get him food.



One of the other sites we surveyed for a future implementation.



Our translator, Hassan, and many bags of cement inside Japhet's house. Michael took this picture, and remarked that "Hassan was too black." Fortunately Hassan took it in good humor, but has mentioned it many times since.


A better picture of Hassan (where he's not too black) on the scaffolding with the masons as they put up a middle column. Japhet ("Legs") and one of the workers are mixing cement on the ground.






No comments:

Post a Comment