Sunday, August 12, 2018

Winding up for the Grand Finale

Good Morning friends and family!

This week has seen our team go into fifth gear, as we now have less than two weeks left in Rwanda. Over the past few days , we have formally assessed all but one of the systems built in the past, started the tank foundation construction for the tank we are adding in Gasebeya, replaced broken/faulty taps at both Nyarutosho and Munini, and continued with construction at Kibaya. 
After watching the masons and helpers we've hired at Kibaya, I can't get over just how incredibly strong those men are. It's definitely not everyday that you see someone casually shape the gigantic boulder of volcanic rock they just pulled out of the ground by hand, into a perfectly rounded small piece of rock to use in in a tank foundation. 
We have also been trying to find time to visit a village the Community Vision Board wants us to assess for the next system implementation. 

There are lots of updates and tidbits to share, so many that I don't know where to start. 
I think I'll start with one of my favorite parts of last week; Hasan was playing some music on his phone while we were working on sawing trusses and fastening rebar when Ed Sheeran's "Shape of You" started to play. Hasan, Zayna, and myself were all humming along to the song when Max, in the middle of the chorus, sang "I'm in love with chapatti!" instead of the original song lyrics, "I'm in love with your body" (credit to Sam for pointing out the similarities in the song last year to Max).  I don't think Hasan has ever laughed harder in his life than he was after Max sang the new and improved version of the song!
Also, Jacques accidental nicknames for Will and myself have sadly come to an end.... For the first three weeks of the trip, Jacques called Will, Wally (which Will loves and still gives as his name to anyone that asks) and called me, Sonrisa, Liza (pronounced Lee-zah). 

One of the most lively discussions our team has had this trip was with Wally (the original, Rwandan Wally) last week at dinner. We asked Wally when he wants to get married which turned into a conversation about the values and morals involved in marriage. Wally was taken aback by Max, Will, and I's "crazy" Western views, especially mine as a young woman of marriage age. Ever since then, Wally has tried to get me to promise him that I will change my mind and start looking for someone that I could marry before I turn 26 and every time I stubbornly disagree. By now, it has become a joke between us but I'm still convinced Wally thinks I'm a bit crazy for not wanting to get married and have children in the next five years. 

One of the most fun moments I've witnessed in community happened today as Zayna and I were waiting for a "plumbing mason" to find the tools to help us replace the broken taps at Munini. As we were waiting for the tanks to be emptied by the local women, in order for us to get inside and change the taps, Zayna gathered all the little kids waiting with their mothers and sisters and taught them how to play a modified version of Duck, Duck, Goose which she just called "Goose!" The younger kids had so much fun playing but a few of the older boys decided they were too cool to play that game and were just sitting n the side, watching. I went over to the boys and showed them my camera and how to take pictures with it. Watching carefully, I let the boys take pictures of the game of Goose being played and of their friends. I have to say, the best pictures taken today were definitely from them! 
All of the kiddos in community absolutely love Will as well. Every time a group of kids comes to the construction site at Kibaya, they watch and imitate everything Will does. Of course, Will notices this and does funny things that the kids always repeat, especially the "Live Long and Prosper" hand signal from Star Trek. 

This past Tuesday, after coming back from work, we went to a music festival being put on by the NGO Max worked for earlier this summer across the street from our hotel. The festival included music and from the US and Rwanda. Wally came with us and really enjoyed getting to share the music he likes with us AND ZAYNA GOT TO DANCE (Carlo, it finally happened!!)!!!










No comments:

Post a Comment