Friday, June 10, 2011


Maramutse.


The team is buttoning up our project at the L’esperance orphanage in Rwanda. We are fixing our leaky pipes, building valve boxes, smoothing out our tap stands, and gathering assessment data. The team has also repaired the hydro-powered pump that feeds the system, which was a huge victory. Initial testing has shown that the irrigation system functions and the tap stands can adequately fill up water balloons. The kids had a great time trying to hit me with the balloons but then mis-firing and hitting Cori. Next steps involve using the system for irrigating fruit trees to help the orphanage on their path to economic sustainability.

My experience here leaves me with mixed emotions. It has been inspiring and insightful playing with the orphans here after a hard day’s work. I have seen kids that are future soccer stars, singers, teachers, and leaders. It’s apparent that they are strong and have relied on each other’s camaraderie to get past rough times in their lives. The little babies here are disciplined and adorable. I am always in awe when I see that the den mothers are able to get them to sit on their potties at the same time. Precious, a toddler here, has been practicing her ABC’s by writing her letters out on my arm. Francois, whose demeanor is reminiscent of my brother, has been trying to teach me Kinyan-Rwandan and giggles when all I remember is oomosatsi – the word for hair. I have plenty of it. The affection that the children have shown leaves me woozy, and these feelings help me understand why there are so many people that are invested in the welfare of this orphanage.

Victor Monroy, the director of the orphanage, has emphasized how he wants the orphanage to function without charity, to become economically self-sufficient. There are mechanism’s underway to help educate and provide for the children. Today, we interviewed Victor about his vision for the eco-lodge hotel, an environmentally friendly hotel that will be built at the base of Lake Kivu. The hotel will be one of the first in the area, providing services such as kayaking, hiking, and even wind-surfing. Most importantly, profits from the eco-lodge will help fund university studies for the older kids at the orphanage.

The team will lose Judy and Lila today, as they fly out tomorrow from Kigali. Cori, Eric, Andy, and I take off Sunday. We will be able to spend a day at the lake with the kids and follow our project to completion.  Hearing the kids sing and looking at the layered hills with Lake Kivu in the background leaves me feeling content. Until next time.

Murabeho,
Ankit

No comments:

Post a Comment